Victoria’s Sustainability Office’s purpose is to inspire leadership for a sustainable future.
We work across Victoria to advance sustainability with excellent research, teaching, operations and public engagement. Our aim is to be a world-leading capital city university in sustainable development
We aim to be a leader in sustainable practices.
- To meet current and future challenges, Victoria is taking an inter-disciplinary approach and works with research and teaching expertise from many areas across the University.
- Victoria engages with partners across society in trans-disciplinary ways to highlight that, ‘sustainability is everybody’s issue’.
- Victoria strives towards best practice in environmental management and sustainability, from a foundation of its core values, of its campus operations and to support our academic performance and strategic goals. The campus, the city and the world are ‘our classrooms’ for learning together.
- The importance that Victoria places on Sustainability is reflected in the establishment of the Sustainability Office, creating the position of Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Sustainability) and through the adoption of Sustainability and Resilience as multidisciplinary theme for distinctive academic emphasis in the Strategic Plan.
- The Sustainability Office is led by Associate Professor Marjan van den Belt, Assistant Vice-Chancellor (Sustainability) who reports to the Provost.
Are the stars aligning for Sustainable Development?
A public lecture by Professor David Griggs, Professor of Sustainable Development at Monash University and Warwick University
Professor Griggs will discuss the challenges and opportunities presented to countries in implementing the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), such as no poverty and climate change and their associated 169 targets. He will particularly focus on the integrated nature of the SDGs. It is vital to take into account of the interlinkages between them as we work on cross-sectoral solutions, hold governments accountable and deliver on these global aspirations.