How to get to and between our campuses on foot, by bike, or on public transport.
It’s a 10–15-minute walk from the city centre to Kelburn Campus.
Shortcuts to the Kelburn Campus
Download these maps to see the pedestrian shortcuts from downtown Wellington to the Kelburn Campus.
- Pedestrian shortcuts to Victoria University (front view)
- Pedestrian shortcuts to Victoria University (back view)
There are cycle racks and showers at all campuses.
Bicycle parking stands on the Kelburn Campus are situated in the following locations:
- Alan MacDiarmid—basement
- Easterfield—west (in front of Pharmacy)
- Kirk—north/east (Hunter Courtyard)
- Laby—under south end
- Murphy Building—east
- Rec Centre—west
- Tim Beaglehole Courtyard
- 83 Fairlie Terrace—west.
If you are a staff member and would like to access the secure cage in the basement of the Alan MacDiarmid Building, please contact Campus Security to get your staff card loaded to access the cage.
Bicycle stands on the Pipitea Campus are situated in the following locations:
- Government Building—east
- Rutherford House—west and basement.
For the safety of building occupants in an emergency and to prevent damage to paintwork and flooring, bicycles must not be kept in offices, corridors and access ways.
The cable car runs from the city to Kelburn every 10 minutes, and stops near the Kelburn Campus.
Bus or train
Buses and trains in Wellington are operated by Metlink. Visit their website for information on timetables and fares or phone 0800 801 700.
The Pipitea Campus is located at the Wellington Railway Station—also home to the central bus terminus.
All campuses are close to bus stops. You can find timetables on the Kelburn Campus at:
- Level 2, Student Union Building
- Reception Desk, Hunter Foyer
- Rankine Brown Foyer.
You can pay in cash, but if you use the bus a lot it is cheaper to buy a Snapper card. These are sold at:
- Vic Books, Student Union Building, Kelburn Campus
- Freemans Lotto, Rutherford House, Pipitea Campus
- many shops downtown.
Bus links are very good. Six separate bus routes stop at the Kelburn Campus and can take you to most points in the city. Note: The timetables below take you to the Metlink website, which includes a journey planner.
- No 17—Karori Park to Railway Station (Pipitea Campus)
- No 18—"Campus Connection": Karori Mall to Miramar via the Karori, Kelburn and Te Aro Campuses
- No 20—Highbury to Mt Victoria via the Kelburn Campus, the Railway Station (Pipitea Campus) and Courtenay Place
- No 22—Mairangi to Southgate via Newtown and Rintoul St
- No 23—Mairangi to Houghton Bay via Newtown and Melrose
- No 47—Johnsonville to Newtown via Khandallah, Ngaio, Wilton, Kelburn Campus, Te Aro Campus and Te Whaea National Dance and Drama Centre
All of these except Routes 18 and 47 go either to the Pipitea Campus or to the nearby Lambton Quay/Bowen St intersection.
Metlink is the name for Greater Wellington’s public transport network. For timetables and information about bus, train and harbour ferry services in the Greater Wellington region go to www.metlink.org.nz or contact the Metlink Service Centre on 0800 801 700.