Gateway Building timeline
The project timeline for Victoria’s new science teaching and research building shows the different stages of the building project.
- December 2014
- Gate 6 car park closed.
Breaking of the ground ceremony.
Excavation for foundations and retaining of the basement in both the north and south zones.
- February 2015
- Culliford Drive diverted along a temporary access road.
Two cranes in place.
Bulk excavation commences for the north and south zones.
- May 2015
- Construction of basement structures in the north and south zone commence.
Pedestrian gantry constructed along Kelburn Parade
- August 2015
- Level 1 structures in north and south are underway.
Connections into Laby, Cotton, and Maclaurin buildings made at Level 1.
- October 2015
- Level 2 structure for both zones are built and a connection made into the Laby Building made.
Preparation for Culliford Drive for diversion to its new permanent location.
- November 2015
- Culliford Drive permanently realigned and a new Gate 7 entrance established.
Culliford Drive’s previous temporary entrance is excavated and Levels 1, 2, and 3 built.
- December 2015
- Level 3 structures in north and south built.
Exterior walls of the building begin to be constructed.
- February 2016
- Fit out of the building begins including laboratories and plant room.
- April 2016
- North and south zones joined and all four levels complete.
- May 2016
- Level 4 structure built along with the plant room.
- September 2016
- Building envelope complete.
- February 2017
- Building commissioning continues.
The external landscaping enters its final phase.
- July 2017
- The ‘close-out’ phase begins, including final inspections and documentation.
- November 2017
- Staff begin to relocate to the new building.
The building will officially open.